If my wedding dress and this little clock pedestal table had a competition for Juliana's Favorite Project Ever, they'd probably end up tied.
I needed a round table to put in the odd corner between our sofa and loveseat, so I headed to pinterest for ideas. My thinking process went something like this...
Do I want skinny, modern legs? Nooo. Something rustic from pallets? Don't think so. Upside down metal trash can painted? Hmm, that looks neat. Thick pedestal base? Ooooo, I like! (Leave and look at craigslist for cheap tables with pedestal bases, unsuccessfully) Heeeey, I need a round top. I could use a clock, a working clock! How cool would that be?!!
Thick pedestal base, round clock top, perfect! So I kept an eye out for a pedestal table that would work, all while thoroughly pleased with my very original clock idea. Until I actually looked and discovered I was not, in fact, the first to think of this. What a let down. 🙂
I finally found a little pedestal table at a secondhand shop. Annnnd as for the clock, I found the perfect one but not nearly as cheaply as I'd have liked. I spent several months looking elsewhere, then gave in and bought the PERFECT one. This one. If you don't know Hobby Lobby, every few weeks the clocks will be half off. So if you want it, wait, don't pay full price!
And now, pictures!
This is less a 'step-by-step clock end table tutorial' and more an 'I'll explain what I did and why' post.
I highly doubt you'll find a table just like mine to use, so this part can't be exactly the same. The first thing I did with the table was find out how the top was fastened and take it off. All I wanted was the base after all. I'll find another project for the table top.
It was too short. I grabbed a few wooden craft plaques from Hobby Lobby like these, and found a short and fat wooden candle holder in my pile of unused decor. Then I glued and screwed them together, piece by piece, trying to have as few screws showing as possible in the end.
My plan all along was for the clock to actually work, which meant I had to be able to access the battery box to change batteries and set the time. Thankfully, the back of this particular clock was flat except for the battery box, and there was a rim around the edge.
I found a piece of thin plywood in our garage, measured and marked a circle just big enough to fit inside the back of the clock, and carefully cut it out with a jigsaw (and sanded the edges). Then I marked a square in the center the size of the battery box, drilled out the corners and jigsawed that sucker out too. (Since the plywood I used was so thin, I also had to cut a hole in the piece of wood just under it, to make room for the battery box to settle all the way inside.)
After all that, the square hole I cut out of the center of the wood looked horribly rough and ragged. I am so not an expert in these things! So, I cut a piece of cereal box cardboard into a very neat square, cut another very neat square in the center the size of the battery box, and glued it to the plywood. Because you gotta make it look good. Never mind that no one is ever going to see it except me. Ha.
The last construction step was to use wood glue and four screws to attach the plywood circle securely to the pedestal base.
Such detailed instructions, right? Or not. I'm not even close to an expert with power tools and I was figuring out things as I went. I'm going to assume if you want to make one of these yourself you have a basic understanding of everything and know all the safety rules and so on and so forth 🙂
And there it is, painted and ready for use!
The idea is that the plywood is firmly attached to the base and gives the clock a sturdy platform to rest on. The battery box on the clock fits into the square hole, and the metal rim of the clock wraps around the plywood base. They fit together just like puzzle pieces.
The clock settles into place quickly and easily, is quite sturdy and unmoving while being used, and if I need to change the batteries or time it lifts up off the base as slick as can be!
I think it's a winner folks!
As far as finishing it....I tried out the Vintage Storehouse Restoration Co.'s Chalky Paint Powder mixed with some creamy white paint, and finished it with American Paint Company's Clear Wax and American Grit. And yes I'm planning to review all of those in the near future, but I think this post is long enough.
But of course, here's one last picture of my latest pride and joy!